Sunday, April 4, 2010

Language Barrier

We sit in silence,
me only slightly uncomfortable,
in the palatable air.
Because what do you say
to someone
when you hate small talk,
and that someone's presence
in your life only adds up
to less than a year?
Less than a month.
Maybe less than the hours in the week or
your number of yearbook photos?

Sometimes silence is better
than trying to decipher
broken english,
or staring blankly as they
babble on in native tongues
more eloquent than my own.
Neither of us really trying
to understand the other
because it will be years
or maybe just months
before we meet again.

This silence is golden,
the only unilingual here,
and everyone speaks it
but not frequently,
awkwardly,
and it only softly says
"I'm sorry."

If these walls could talk
would they tell me of the tears
shed from my absence?
Of the longing families feel
for lost daughters?

Would I even be able to understand?
or only nod acknowledgment in
with appropriately cued inflection?

No comments: