Friday, April 23, 2010

I remember
my mother
attempting to cultivate interest
In all things green.

I remember trekking
through woods
searching for
dry land fish
or rare wild flowers
with heavy feet and
long dramatic sighs
sitting on rotting logs
as chiggers and ticks
Made me host.

I remember planting a ring
around a bird bath
but losing the interest
and dedication
to water
or weed
And eventually just forgot.

I've killed a cactus.
Not once.
But twice.
After promises that it was
Virtually impossible.

But I'm trying.
The birthday daisies
Aren't dead yet.
And the tomatoes I got
just this week
aren't lonely
or sad a
Or soft yet.
Just need a new bed
To rest their roots.

I'm trying to fertilize
this black thumb of death
into something more productive
now that I have a few more rings
On my own trunk.

1 comment:

Eternia's Toys said...

I really like this one.